Do you live or cycle in Oakland Mills or Hickory Ridge? Weigh in now!
We have exciting news for those living and/or riding in Oakland Mills and Hickory Ridge Villages! The county is seeking input on installing new bike lanes and shared use pathways in the area (as envisioned in BikeHoward, the county’s bicycle master plan). County officials will be discussing the proposed bike lanes with the local village boards later this month.
We encourage residents of these villages and those who ride through them to show your support by either:
- Attending the village meeting below; AND/OR
- Sending an email to email@example.com Your email does not need to be long. A few sentences that confirm your support for the new bike lanes and expresses your desire for safer, more accessible, places to bike in your community would be good.
Village meeting details:
Oakland Mills Community Association
June 12th, 7:00 PM at The Other Barn, 5851 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia, Maryland 21045
- The Howard County Department of Public Works expects to resurface Lightning View Road during the coming year. BikeHoward, the Howard County Bicycle Master Plan, calls for climbing lanes (one-directional bike lanes in the uphill direction) along Lightning View Road.
- County Office of Transportation staff will discuss this proposal at the June 12th Village Board meeting.
Hickory Ridge Community Association
June 18th, 7:30 PM at the Hawthorn Center, 6175 Sunny Spring, Columbia, MD 21044
- BikeHoward calls for bike lanes along Hickory Ridge Road, which is expected to be resurfaced during FY2019.
- BikeHoward calls for construction of a shared-use pathway from the intersection of Broken Land Parkway to an existing Columbia Association pathway that connects to Sebring Drive. The Office of Transportation intends to begin developing concepts for this pathway during FY2019.
- The ongoing Howard Community College connector project will include a new shared-use pathway traversing the College’s campus from the Downtown Columbia Trail to Hickory Ridge Road, and a new crossing of Hickory Ridge Road south of the College.
- County Office of Transportation staff will discuss these proposals at the June 18th Village Board meeting.
Thanks for your help in making Howard County a more walkable and bikeable place to live!